Archive for the ‘TFS’ Tag

SSL VPN: Windows7 + XP Virtual Mode + TFS

My company uses a version of the CheckPoint SSL VPN for all its remoting needs. Basically, you open Internet Explorer and browse to the VPN address. The first time this loads up, an ActiveX is installed that checks for virus scanning software, and then you log in. Once logged in, it installs a Service which does some virtual networking through SSL.

Unfortunately, this seems to barely work with Vista and I haven’t gotten it to work with Windows 7. Instead of the hours it most likely would have taken to try to get it working on Win7, I decided to take an alternate approach, and use the XP mode to connect. After enabling virtualization under the OS Security in my BIOS, XP mode was installed and ready to go. I browsed to the SSL VPN address, installed it, and was able to remote into my work desktop. Hooray.

Next, I wanted to use the more seamless integration of XP mode, so I created a folder in the Start Menu for my virtual user, and created a IE Shortcut. Once XP hibernated, I was able to launch the XP IE directly from Win7 and VPN in.

The current bug-a-boo is that the VPN connectivity is local from my virtual XP machine, and I want to develop on my Win7 desktop while connecting to TFS at work. I’m thinking I’m going to install a TFS proxy on the XP virtual machine, and connect to that from my home machines. That way I can kick up the SSL VPN seamlessly from Win7, and then route my development activity through the XP Machine using the TFS Proxy. Fun, fun.

Advertisements

MSBuild: Custom Task MetaData

Been working with CruiseControl.Net to connect to our CMSynergy source control for some continous integration goodness. While configuring CCNet, I’ve had the oppurtunity to spend some more time with MSBuild – which always makes for some interesting times.

I plan on posting more info once this round is over, but I wanted to make a note about custom tasks from MSBuild. The setup for this, is that I am using a custom task to parse some input files based  on how the release is being defined – and then output the files that should be included in the final install package. Without going too much further into detail, the intial condition was that if this is a .0 release, all files are returned.
The task xml looked like:
<CustomTask SourceFiles=”@(SourceFiles)” Release=”$(ReleaseCondition)”>
<OutPut TaskParameter=”PublishFiles”  ItemName=”OutFiles”/>
</CustomTask>

The interesting bit to note here, was that just setting the output property to the input property (PublishFiles = SourceFiles) – ended up with the MetaData RecursiveDir on PublishFiles being reset  once the output was set to a new variable OutFiles. To get around this, I ended up setting a new custom metadata on the PublishFiles property that copies the RecursiveDir property from SourceFiles.

TFS Upgrade: 2005 to 2008 SP1

Today marked the officially move of our TFS 2005 server to TFS 2008, including SP1. This time the results were more favorable, as TFS is actually running, and people are checking in and out. (The previous attempt I ran into a time crunch, and couldn’t afford the down time for the upgrade and -more importantly- the testing).

Our new TFS server is running Windows Server 2008 – which looks awesome – and SQL Server 2008 – which is great because TFS2008 couldn’t run against it before. We also have a build machine running Windows Server 2003.

The upgrade was pretty painless thanks to a few forum pointers, this post, and having run through the drill of trying to upgrade our TFS databases on a test domain.

Our process was as follows:

  • Disconnect the TFS 2005 server from the network
  • Install SQL Server 2008, including Reporting Services on top of new Windows Server 2008.
  • Run the TFS 2008 install using the SP1 Slipstream trick documented in the updated install guide and Etienne’s post. Note: I had to run the install from the ATIntegerated folder instead of rebuilding the ISO, as for some reason running it from the updated ISO would run the previous install.
  • Chose to update my TFS 2005 databases.
  • Start the install again after an error from Sharepoint, and installing the Sharppoint Web Services.
  • Got past an error where Reporting Services couldn’t initialize. Had to create a new database in Report Services configuration that connecting with the TFSSetup users’ creds.
  • Installed!
  • Uninstalled TFS 2005 Build from the Build Machine
  • Installed TFS 2008 Build on to the Build Machine
  • Checked out, checked in, and built successfully.

The install went pretty smoothly, and the developers are able to do their thing just as before. Sign of a good install.